Location: Ethiopia, SNNPR Region (South)
Type of contract: Employee on a fixed-term contract (French law)
Duration of the contract: 1 year renewable (remaining project duration: until end of August 2024)
Desired date of arrival: End of March 2023
Application deadline: 06/02/2023
Agronomes & Vétérinaires Sans Frontières (AVSF) is a French association of international solidarity recognised as being of public utility, which has been working since 1977 to support peasant agriculture. Present in 23 countries, AVSF puts the skills of agricultural, livestock and animal health professionals at the service of peasant communities threatened by exclusion and poverty. AVSF thus supports their initiatives to obtain better living conditions, to sustainably manage the natural resources on which they depend, and to participate in the socio-economic development of their territory. AVSF helps them defend their rights and gain recognition for their role in society.
Since mid-2020, the NGO Inter Aide, member of the Groupe Initiatives, has been implementing a large programme of "Support to family farming in the mountainous areas of Southern Ethiopia" (Southern Region - SNNPR), in consortium with AVSF which is specifically in charge of developing the Livestock Component of this programme. This is AVSF's first intervention in Ethiopia.
Within this framework, and since the beginning of 2021, AVSF has been providing Inter Aide, the consortium leader, with additional expertise and support in defining and implementing activities to improve income from cattle breeding (mainly dairy products) by working on both (i) primary production, in particular the improvement of animal nutrition, fodder management and genetic improvement of herds, (ii) support for the improvement of animal health services provided to farmers, and (iii) support for a better development of the milk sector.
In order to carry out the actions of the Livestock Component, AVSF has an Expatriate Technical Assistant (ETA) and two local managers working full time in the field. The ETA also acts as AVSF's Country Representative.
Under the hierarchical responsibility of the Director of Operations, in connection with the Program Manager of the Livestock and Animal Health Unit at AVSF headquarters and the Inter Aide Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Inter Aide teams in Ethiopia and France, the ETA’s role will be to manage and follow up the implementation of the livestock activities of the project, as well as to ensure the monitoring-evaluation and reporting of this component. He/she will supervise the team of local technical assistants (2 people to date), as well as the interns recruited in the framework of the livestock component of the project (3 internships planned for 2023).
More specifically, the ETA will have to continue the deployment of activities initiated under the animal nutrition component, deepen the support strategy for the deconcentrated veterinary services to improve the service provided to livestock-raising families, and will accompany the in-depth study of possible factors for the development of the dairy sector and the possibilities for genetic improvement.
In addition to the technical and operational management of the project's activities, the person recruited will also ensure the strengthening of links with local and national authorities in livestock area (Ministry of Livestock) and in particular animal health (veterinary services).
He/she will be the official representative of AVSF in Ethiopia, with the local and national authorities, as well as with Inter Aide's country coordination. He/she will contribute to the advocacy, communication and associative life of AVSF in Ethiopia and in general.
Living conditions :
- Position based in Southern Nations, Nationalities and People Region (SNNPR), Sodo town or possibly Awasa
- Frequent and regular travel to the field in the administrative areas of Kembatta-Tembaro, Hadiya and North West Wolayta
- Security: Security conditions are good in the field (project area in yellow on the MEAE map). The person recruited will apply the security rules in force both at AVSF and within the InterAide team locally.
- Education: Higher education (Master's degree or equivalent) in veterinary science, agronomy or agro-economics with a specialisation in animal production (zootechnics) and/or animal sectors
- Experience: at least 5 years of proven experience in a project management position in an NGO or similar institution, in the field of rural and local development
- Other skills: ability to work in a team and in the field, strong analytical and synthesis skills, strong interpersonal and writing skills, and a good personal capacity for autonomy and adaptation to work in difficult local conditions.
AVSF strives to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of its staff within its teams. As an employer, AVSF offers equal opportunities for employment to all regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, social status, disability and age.
- Experience in rural development program management (mastery of project cycle management), skills in monitoring and evaluation and capitalisation of experience are required;
- Technical skills in animal production (dairy cattle), organisation of veterinary services, supply chains and technical support methods for producers;
- Pedagogical capacity towards the team and the beneficiaries, capacity building skills;
- Fluency in English is essential (daily working language);
- Computer skills are required.
Integration pathway: 3 days in Lyon and Nogent sur Marne / possibly remotely if necessary
Gross monthly salary: According to the current grid (estimated between 2700 euros and 3000 euros) + net family allowance according to the situation + 500 € net (per diem paid on site by Inter Aide)
- Coverage of air tickets (expatriate, spouse and children)
- Coverage of the cost of transporting baggage sent as unaccompanied freight for the initial outward journey and the final return journey
- Social security coverage for the expatriate and his/her family: CFE - mutual insurance - provident fund - health repatriation and civil liability insurance
Interested candidates should send their application (letter of motivation + CV), with the reference RP-ATE Ethiopia by 6 February 2023 at the latest to: email@example.com
Interviews will be scheduled in February 2023.